Looking for the best places to visit in March in the USA? These are the places you want to travel to this month, whether you’re looking for the tail end of winter adventures, epic events, or a warm getaway.
March is when the season starts to turn (depending on the part of the US you visit). It’s the last month for decent, predictable snowsports, and in other places, spring has sprung. There are also many special events, like St. Patrick’s Day and Cherry Blossom Festivals.
This post may contain affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on sales of the products that are linked at no additional cost to you. All opinions are always our own. Read our full disclosure for more info. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Local Adventurer possible.
Last Updated: February 9, 2022
15 Best Places to Visit in March USA Edition
1. Austin, Texas – Best Place to Visit in March for Music Lovers
602 E 4th St, Austin, TX 78701, map
Weather Avg: 73° / 51° F
March is a great time to visit Austin for beautiful weather, especially if you love outdoor activities. BUT the main draw in March is the SXSW, which takes over the entire city. SXSW is a film festival, conference, and music festival combined that focuses on up-and-coming music and films and emerging tech.
- TO DO: 101 Things to Do in Austin
- EAT: 49 Best Places to Eat in Austin
- STAY: Fairmont Austin, The Otis Hotel, Archer Hotel
- EVENTS: SXSW, Rodeo Austin, Sout Food Truck Fest
Local Tip: With so many events happening in town, book hotels early since they will fill quickly.
2. Charleston, South Carolina – Best Place to Visit in March for Food Lovers
211 Meeting St, Charleston, SC 29403, map
Weather Avg: 66° / 51° F
If you love food, you should visit Charleston in early March for the Charleston Wine + Food Festival that celebrates the cuisine and food culture of the area. The cooler temps make it enjoyable to walk around town, and you can find a rooftop bar or restaurant to spend the afternoon.
- TO DO: 101 Things to Do in Charleston Bucket List
- EAT: 49 Best Places to Eat in Charleston SC Food Bucket List
- STAY: French Quarter Inn, Liberty Place, The Spectator Hotel
- EVENTS: Charleston Wine + Food Festival, Front Beach Fest
Local Tip: Make reservations at popular restaurants, especially on weekends.
3. New Orleans, Louisiana – Best Place to Travel to in March for Festivals
339 Decatur St, New Orleans, LA 70130, map
Weather Avg: 73° / 54° F
Mardi Gras Day is March 1, and there’s no better place to celebrate than in New Orleans. Once I get over my anxiety of large crowds, I’m there!
1450 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20230, map
Weather Avg: 56° / 35° F
Washington DC has world-class museums and attractions, but the city is extra special when the cherry blossoms bloom in March. The National Cherry Blossom Festival runs from March 20 to April 17 but check their bloom watch for the most up-to-date info.
- TO DO: 101 Things to Do in Washington DC
- EAT: 49 Best Places to Eat in Washington DC
- STAY: Fairmont, Hotel Hive, HighRoad
- EVENTS: National Cherry Blossom Festival, Tulip Magnolia Safari at the Smithsonian
Local Tip: If you’re planning on visiting during the Cherry Blossoms, it’s best to have a flexible schedule since it depends on when they bloom.
5. Macon, Georgia
450 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, Macon, GA 31201, map
Weather Avg: 70° / 45° F
Although the National Cherry Blossom Festival happens in DC, Macon is the Cherry Blossom Capital of the World, with over 350,000 cherry trees. It’s the place you should attend a cherry blossom festival.
- TO DO: National Cherry Blossom Festival, Grand Opera House, Ocmulgee River Water Trail
- EAT: Dovetail, The Rookery, Chico and Chang
- STAY: 1842 Inn, Burke Mansion, Holiday Inn Express
- EVENTS: Cherry Blossom Festival, Toast & Taste
Local Tip: Check out the Cherry Blossom Trail that takes you through 12 historic districts with thousands of flowering trees.
6. Breckenridge, Colorado – Best Place to Visit in March for Skiing
203 S Main St, Breckenridge, CO 80424, map
Weather Avg: 38° / 25° F
March is the last month for good and predictable snowsports in Breckenridge. The weather is warmer than the peak ski season, which is nice if you’ve gone soft to cold weather like us. Later in the month, the crowds go away, and the weather gets warmer but runs also start to close.
- TO DO: Snowcat Tour, Sledding at Carter Park, Skiing and Snowboarding
- EAT: The Canteen Taphouse and Tavern, Hearthstone Restaurant, Giampietro Pasta & Pizzeria
- STAY: Welk Resorts, Crystal Peak Lodge, Mountain Thunder Lodg
Local Tip: Breckenridge has a free bus system throughout the town and there are shuttles from Denver International Airport too.
1075 Peachtree St NE, Atlanta, GA 30309, map
Weather Avg: 66° / 42° F
We dread the summer humidity, having grown up in Atlanta. We always forget how bad it is until we arrive and choke on the air. March and April are the best months to visit to have beautiful weather to spend in outdoor spaces and city parks.
- TO DO: 101 Things to Do in Atlanta
- EAT: 49 Best Places to Eat in Atlanta
- STAY: Best Places to Stay in Atlanta
- EVENTS: St Patrick’s Parade
Local Tip: Atlanta is a sprawling city. Although a lot of the main attractions can be found in Midtown, a car is helpful if you want to explore more of the city.
Weather Avg: 60° / 34° F
We love the Arches National Park and the Moab area. March will have thinner crowds, and you’ll avoid the new timed entry tickets that start in April.
- TO DO: 11 Best Hikes, 9 Most Famous Arches
- EAT: Antica Forma, Sultan Mediterranean Grill, Moab Spitfire Smokehouse
- STAY: Red Cliffs Lodge, Hoodoo Moab, Holiday Inn Express & Suites
Local Tip: Pack layers; it’s cold when the sun goes down.
9. Miami Beach, Florida
1701 Meridian Ave #403, Miami Beach, FL 33139, map
Weather Avg: 77° / 67° F
Miami Beach offers warm weather and fun in the sun, but you will compete with the Spring Break crowds that peak mid-March. It was so much fun during our college years, but if you’ve outgrown that scene, head outdoors to the Everglades or enjoy the museums for a quieter experience.
10. Houston, Texas
36.01302 Dallas St, Houston, TX 77002, map
Weather Avg: 70° / 55° F
Houston is another great city to visit in March before it gets unbearably hot and humid. They have everything from museums to outdoor activities, and if you love space, you have the Space Center.
- TO DO: Space Center, Houston Museum of Natural Science, Houston Zoo
- EAT: Bosscat Kithcen & Libations, Hearsay Market Square, Lucille’s
- STAY: The Post Oak Hotel, The Lancaster Hotel, The Laura Hotel
- EVENTS: Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, Texasfest Houston
Local Tip: You can easily get around the Grand Canyon Village with the free shuttle bus.
Weather Avg: 74° / 48° F
March is a great time to visit Grand Canyon National Park when the weather is just right. It’s not too hot to hike in a tee, and it’s also not freezing for camping or if you’re trying to catch the sunrise.
- TO DO: Grand Canyon Village, Mather Point, Hiking
- EAT: Foodie Club, Big E Steakhouse & Saloon, Plaza Bonita
- STAY: Holiday Inn Express Grand Canyon, The Grand Hotel, Grand Canyon Plaza Hotel
Local Tip: Plan your trip ahead of time. The North and South Rim are far apart. The South Rim is more popular and more accessible.
5200 Las Vegas Blvd S, Las Vegas, NV 89119, map
Weather Avg: 72° / 39° F
- TO DO: Bellagio Conservatory, Valley of Fire, Area 15
- EAT: E by Jose Andres, Mizumi, Poke Express
- STAY: The Venetian, NoMad Las Vegas, Vdara Hotel & Spa
- EVENTS: Pac 12 Basketball Tournament, NASCAR Cup Series
Local Tip: Layers will be key to keeping cool when it gets hot but warm when it gets cold.
996 N Harbor Dr, San Diego, CA 92101, map
Weather Avg: 67° / 54° F
San Diego is one of those cities you can visit any time of year. But starting in March, the nearby Carlsbad Ranch Flower Fields begin to bloom, giving you fifty acres of beautiful flowers to see.
14. Antelope Valley, California
150th St W, Lancaster, CA 93536, map
Weather Avg: 66° / 40° F
Typically the Antelope Valley poppies bloom mid-February to May, peaking in mid-March to mid-April. But it can change year to year depending on the weather. Check the live cam to see how it looks.
15. Florida Keys, Florida – Best Warm Weather Destination in March
3106000 Overseas Hwy, Key Largo, FL 33037, map
Weather Avg: 78° / 68° F
We visited the Florida Keys with Visit Florida last year. Each of the keys has a different vibe, with Key West being the most touristy.
Map of the Best Places to Visit in March USA Edition
Warmest Destinations in March in the US
The warmest states in March are Florida, Hawaii, Texas, California, and Arizona.
The warmest cities based on average highs are:
- 85°F – Everglades National Park, Florida
- 83°F – Lahaina, Maui || Big Bend National Park, Texas
- 82°F – Kailua Kona, Hawaii Big Island || Death Valley National Park, California
- 81°F – Honolulu, Oahu || Yuma, Arizona
- 80°F – Miami, Florida || Palm Springs, California
- 79°F – Hilo, Hawaii Big Island
- 78°F – Key West, Florida || Anza Borrego, California || Phoenix, Arizona
- 77°F – Orlando, Florida
- 76°F – Corpus Christi, Texas
- 75°F – Daytona Beach, Florida
More Places to Visit in March in the US
- AK: Fairbanks
- AZ: Sedona
- CA: Palm Springs, Yosemite, Yountville
- CO: Colorado Springs, Rocky Mountain NP
- FL: Orlando, Sarasota
- GA: Providence Canyon
- HI: Big Island, Maui, Haleakala NP, Kaui, Waikiki, Oahu
- IL: Chicago
- IN: Nashville
- MA: Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard
- NC: Asheville
- ND: Fargo
- NY: NYC
- PA: Philadelphia
- SC: Charleston
- SD: Black Hills
- TN: Nashville
- UT: St George
- WY: Yellowstone NP
Major Festivals and Holidays All Over the US
What do we celebrate in March in the USA? Mardi Gras, Cherry Blossoms, and St. Patrick’s Day are the main holidays, but here are a few others.
- Mardi Gras
- Cherry Blossom Festivals
- Deaf History Month
- Holi Festival
- Honor Society Awareness Month
- Irish American Heritage
- National Craft Month
- Natl Ethics Month
- Natl Foreign Language
- Optimism Month
- St Patty’s Day
- Women’s History Month
What to Pack
For Cold Weather Destinations:
- Rechargeable Hand Warmer
- Insulated and Waterproof Shoes
- 3-in-1 Parka
- Heavyweight Socks
For Warm Weather Destinations:
What is the best place to visit in March in United States?
For us, it’s DC for the cherry blossom festival.
Where is the warmest places in the US in March?
Miami, Florida has average highs of 80.3°F daily.
Where is hot and cheap in March?
As long as you avoid major festivals or events, Florida is a hot and cheap place to head to in March.
Where is it hot and dry in March?
Lajitas or Big Bend National Park is one of the driest yet warm places to visit in March.
Where has nice weather in March?
Assuming you’re looking for sunshine, Yuma, Arizona is the sunniest city with 90% sunshine in March.
Where is the cheapest place to travel to in March in US?
Orlando, San Antonio, and Las Vegas are destinations to visit in March to find good deals.
Where is it cheaper to fly in US in March?
Although it depends on what airport you’re flying out of, you can find good deals in Las Vegas.
Where should I go for a beach vacation in March?
Hawaii has beautiful beaches to relax while Miami Beach is a party.
Where is the warmest place in Florida in March? Is it warm enough to swim in Florida in March?
Miami and Key West are warm in March and have suitable water temperatures for swimming.
Is there anywhere we missed on our list of best places to visit in March in USA?
DID YOU ENJOY THIS POST? PIN IT FOR LATER
SEE MORE CITY BUCKET LISTS
“Discovery consists not of seeking new lands but in seeing with new eyes” – M. Proust