Charleston is the oldest and second-largest city in South Carolina. It has cobblestone streets, horse-drawn carriages, and tons of old historic houses that have led many to call Charleston the cultural capital of the south. There are a ton of restaurants to choose from, so we’ve created a list of the best places to eat in Charleston SC with the help of our friend Katy Blair Connor, a local Charleston resident.
If you love seafood, this is the city for you. It’s fresh, often caught right off the coast, and prepared in numerous ways that will make your mouth do a little dance. Welcome to the south, y’all!
This post may contain affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on sales of the products that are linked at no additional cost to you. All opinions are always our own. Read our full disclosure for more info. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Local Adventurer possible.
Last Updated: July 6, 2023
49 Best Places to Eat in Charleston SC Food Bucket List
Central (North of Cannon St)
- Butcher and the Bee (Central, Southern, 💰💰) – The roast beef is one of the favorites!
- Chez Nous (Central, French, 💰💰💰) – The menu changes daily, but the seafood is a must.
- Edmund’s Oast (Central, New American, 💰💰) – Outdoor brewery with an amazing happy hour ($4 drink and food options). Also, the regular menu has a beef tartare and crudite’ plate that are on point.
- Fuel (Central/Various, Caribbean, 💰💰)
- Leon’s Fine Poultry & Oysters (Central, Meat Shops / Southern/ Seafood, 💰💰) – Charbroiled Oysters alongside bone-in spicy fried chicken.
- Lewis BBQ (Central, BBQ, 💰💰) – BBQ yes, but don’t miss the green chile corn pudding.
- Little Jack’s Tavern (Central, American / Salad / Cocktail Bars, 💰💰) – Open straight thru from lunch to dinner, we popped in and split a burger and Kölsch in the middle of the afternoon.
- The Royal American (Central / Traditional American, Dive Bar 💰) – Been open for over 30 years.
- Rutledge Cab Co. (Central, New American / Burgers / Breakfast & Brunch, 💰💰) – $5 burger night on Monday’s.
- Santi’s (Central, Mexican, 💰💰) – Locals’ favorite Mexican restaurant. Delicious and homey Mexican dishes under fifteen dollars.
- Rodney Scott’s BBQ (Central, BBQ, 💰💰)
- Xiao Bao Biscuit (Central, Asian Fusion / Japanese / Chinese, 💰💰) – Okonomiyaki with pork candy. Yum!
- 39 Rue De Jean (Downtown, French / Brasseries, 💰💰)
- CO (Downtown, Vietnamese / Cocktails, 💰💰)
- Coast Bar & Grill (Downtown, Seafood / Cajun / Raw, 💰💰)
- Cru Cafe (Downtown, New American, 💰💰)
- The Darling (Downtown, Seafood / Cocktail Bars / Live / Raw, 💰💰) – Pictured below. We were lucky enough to visit during soft shell crab season, so we ordered them fried to finger licking good! Be sure to walk around King Street.
- Dashi (Downtown, Breakfast & Brunch / Latin American / Asian Fusion, 💰💰)
- Fig Charleston (Downtown, New American, 💰💰💰)
- Glazed Gourmet Doughnuts (Downtown, Doughnuts / Desserts / Coffee & Tea, 💰) – Go early when the doughnuts are still warm.
- Halls Chophouse (Downtown, Steakhouse / Seafood / Bar, 💰💰💰💰) – great fine dining
- High Cotton (Downtown / Seafood, Wine and Cocktail Bar 💰💰💰)
- Husk Charleston (Downtown, Seafood / Southern, 💰💰💰) – James Beard Award Winner and has a beautiful dining room with a great view
- Indaco (Downtown, Italian, 💰💰) – Funghi Pizza.
- Laurel (Downtown / Spanish Tapas, Small Plates 💰💰)
- Marina Variety Store Restaurant (Downtown, Seafood / Breakfast & Brunch / Sandwiches, 💰💰)
- Millers All Day (Downtown / Southern, Breakfast & Brunch 💰💰)
- Oak Steakhouse (Downtown, Steakhouse, 💰💰💰)
- Oyster House (Downtown, Seafood / Cocktails, 💰💰)
- The Ordinary (Downtown, Seafood / Sandwiches, 💰💰💰) – Uni tacos, red snapper ceviche, fried oyster sliders on house-made Hawaiian rolls washed down with a rum Negroni and local beer.
- Pearlz Oyster Bar (Downtown / French Quarter, Seafood, 💰💰) – great Oyster shop
- Poogan’s Porch (Downtown, Southern / Diners / Breakfast & Brunch, 💰💰) – Try the Fried Green Tomatoes
- SNOB – Slightly North of Broad (Downtown, New American, Southern, Seafood, 💰💰💰)
- Sugar Bakeshop (Downtown, Bakeries / Cupcakes, 💰) – Pick up some chocolate chip cookies. If ice cream is your thing, check our Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams.
- Carmen y Juan’s (Mount Pleasant, Mexican, 💰💰)
- Langdon’s Restaurant & Wine Bar (Mount Pleasant, Seafood / Hawaiian / Wine Bars, 💰💰💰)
- Mi Xao (Mount Pleasant, Vietnamese, 💰) – when you’re craving pho
- Opal Restaurant & Bar (Mount Pleasant, Mediterranean / Bars / Seafood, 💰💰💰)
- Page’s Okra Grill (Mount Pleasant, Southern / Seafood / Breakfast & Brunch, 💰💰)
- Sewee Restaurant (Mount Pleasant, Seafood / Comfort Food, 💰💰) – An awesome little dive with the best fried seafood
- Tavern and Table (Mount Pleasant, New American, 💰💰) – Lemon ricotta pancakes. Need I say more?
- Obstinate Daughter (Sullivan’s Island, Pizza / Seafood / Mediterranean, 💰💰) – A short hop over the Ravenel Bridge for exceptional Italian-style coastal food. Old Danger pizza and shrimp roll.
Map of the Best Places to Eat in Charleston
Where to Stay in Charleston
How many of these restaurants have you been to? Did we miss anything?
DID YOU ENJOY THIS POST? PIN IT FOR LATER
SEE MORE Food Lover Guides
“Discovery consists not of seeking new lands but in seeing with new eyes” – M. Proust
Caroline + Erin
They are freelance web designers and photographers who love finding adventure, both big and small. The two make a daily practice of sharing vulnerabilities, truth telling, and side splitting laughter. They’ve honed the art of traveling fast and doing all of the things that an adventurer can do in a day or two. The couple lives in Asheville and loves spending their time in the mountains.