Charleston is the oldest and second-largest city in South Carolina. It has cobblestone streets, horse-drawn carriages, and tons of old historic houses that have led many to call Charleston the cultural capital of the south. There are a ton of restaurants to choose from, so we’ve created a list of the best places to eat in Charleston SC with the help of our friend Katy Blair Connor, a local Charleston resident.
If you love seafood, this is the city for you. It’s fresh, often caught right off the coast and prepared in numerous ways that will make your mouth do a little dance. Welcome to the south, y’all!
Date Updated: Jun 28 2018 Originally Created Sep 4, 2017
49 BEST PLACES TO EAT IN CHARLESTON SC FOOD BUCKET LIST
CENTRAL (North of Cannon St)
- Butcher and the Bee (Central, Southern, $) – Try the roast beef!
- Chez Nous (Central, French, $) – The menu changes daily, but the seafood is a must.
- Edmund’s Oast (Central, New American, $) – Outdoor brewery with an amazing happy hour ($4 drink and food options). Also, the regular menu has a beef tartare and crudite’ plate that are on point.
- Fuel (Central/Various, Caribbean, $)
- Leon’s Fine Poultry & Oysters (Central, Meat Shops / Southern/ Seafood, $) – Charbroiled Oysters alongside bone-in spicy fried chicken.
- Lewis BBQ (Central, BBQ, $) – BBQ yes, but don’t miss the green chile corn pudding.
- Little Jack’s Tavern (Central, American / Salad / Cocktail Bars, $) – Open straight thru from lunch to dinner, we popped in and split a burger and Kölsch in the middle of the afternoon.
- Martha Lou’s Kitchen (Central, Soul-food/Southern/Diner, $) – Been open for over 30 years.
- Rutledge Cab Co. (Central, New American / Burgers / Breakfast & Brunch, $) – $5 burger night on Monday’s.
- Tattooed Moose (Central, Bars/American / Sandwiches, $)
- Trattoria Lucca (Central, Italian, $)
- Xiao Bao Biscuit (Central, Asian Fusion / Japanese / Chinese, $) – Okonomiyaki with pork candy.
- 39 Rue De Jean (Downtown, French / Brasseries, $)
- Basil (Downtown / Various, Thai, $)
- CO (Downtown, Vietnamese / Cocktails, $)
- Coast Bar & Grill (Downtown, Seafood / Cajun / Raw, $)
- Cru Cafe (Downtown, New American, $)
- The Darling (Downtown, Seafood / Cocktail Bars / Live / Raw, $) – Pictured below. We were lucky enough to visit during soft shell crab season, so we ordered them fried to finger licking good!
- Fig (Downtown, New American, $)
- Fish (Downtown, French / Dessert / Cocktails, $)
- Five Loaves (Downtown/Various, Breakfast / Brunch / American, $)
- Glazed Gourmet Doughnuts (Downtown, Doughnuts / Desserts / Coffee & Tea, $) – Go early when the doughnuts are still warm.
- Halls Chophouse (Downtown, Steakhouse / Seafood / Bar, $)
- HoM Charleston (Downtown, Burgers / New American, $)
- Hominy Grill (Downtown, Southern / Breakfast & Brunch / American, $)
- Husk (Downtown, Seafood / Southern, $)
- Indaco (Downtown, Italian, $) – Funghi Pizza.
- Marina Variety Store Restaurant (Downtown, Seafood / Breakfast & Brunch / Sandwiches, $)
- Oak Steakhouse (Downtown, Steakhouse, $)
- The Ordinary (Downtown, Seafood / Sandwiches, $) – Uni tacos, red snapper ceviche, fried oyster sliders on house-made Hawaiian rolls washed down with a rum Negroni and local beer.
- Pearlz Oyster Bar (Downtown, Seafood, $)
- Poogan’s Porch (Downtown, Southern / Diners / Breakfast & Brunch, $)
- SNOB – Slightly North of Broad (Downtown, New American, Southern, Seafood, $)
- Sugar Bakeshop (Downtown, Bakeries / Cupcakes, $) – Pick up some chocolate chip cookies.
- Bowen’s Island (James Island, Seafood, $) – All-You-Can-Eat oysters served to you on a shovel in the basement
- Pick Thai (James Island, Thai, $)
- Fat Hen (John’s Island, New American, $)
- Carmen y Juan’s (Mount Pleasant, Mexican, $)
- Langdon’s Restaurant & Wine Bar (Mount Pleasant, Seafood / Hawaiian / Wine Bars, $)
- Mi Xao (Mount Pleasant, Vietnamese, $) – when you’re craving pho
- Opal Restaurant & Bar (Mount Pleasant, Mediterranean / Bars / Seafood, $)
- Page’s Okra Grill (Mount Pleasant, Southern / Seafood / Breakfast & Brunch, $)
- Sewee Restaurant (Mount Pleasant, Seafood / Comfort Food, $) – An awesome little dive with the best fried seafood
- Tavern and Table (Mount Pleasant, New American, $) – Lemon ricotta pancakes. Need I say more?
- EVO Pizzeria (North Charleston, Pizza / Salad, $) – Amazing pistachio pesto pizza.
- Obstinate Daughter (Sullivan’s Island, Pizza / Seafood / Mediterranean, $) – A short hop over the Ravenel Bridge for exceptional Italian-style coastal food. Old Danger pizza and shrimp roll.
- Early Bird Diner (West Ashley, Diners / American, $) – Featured on Diners, Drive Ins & Dives! Fried chicken with cinnamon waffles.
- Glass Onion (West Ashley, Southern / Salad / Sandwiches, $) – Also featured on Diners, Drive Ins & Dives.
- Home Team BBQ (West Ashley, BBQ, $)
HONORABLE MENTIONS OR TAKEN OFF THE LIST
- Rise Coffee (Downtown, Cafes / Coffee & Tea, $) – They are serious about their coffee and their sense of humor.
How many of these restaurants have you been to? Did we miss anything?!
MAP TO HELP YOU GET AROUND
Did you enjoy this post? Pin it for later
SEE MORE CITY FOOD GUIDES
“Discovery consists not of seeking new lands but in seeing with new eyes” – M. Proust
CAROLINE + ERIN
They are freelance web designers and photographers who love finding adventure, both big and small. The two make a daily practice of sharing vulnerabilities, truth telling, and side splitting laughter. They’ve honed the art of traveling fast and doing all of the things that an adventurer can do in a day or two. The couple lives in Asheville and loves spending their time in the mountains.