Want to know what to wear to the airport? These are our ideal airport outfits.
We’ve been traveling full-time since 2014, and I’ve gone through all the phases, from PJs to being completely dressed up in a stiff suit and heels. Now, I have landed somewhere in the middle.
Traveling can already put you outside your comfort zone. Why make it more uncomfortable? Now, whether I’m traveling or at home, my style is comfy chic. Luckily, these days you don’t have to sacrifice style for comfort. Many travel and lifestyle brands have stepped up their game with clothes that make you look good but can also keep you cool, dry, and comfy.
This post may contain affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on sales of the products that are linked at no additional cost to you. All opinions are always our own. Read our full disclosure for more info. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Local Adventurer possible.
Last Updated: October 10, 2022
Things to Consider for Airport Outfit Ideas
- Quick dry of moisture-wicking (it’s the same thing)
- Pants over dresses – I always get cold on planes.
- Layering – when there are delays, it can go from hot to freezing.
- Do you have TSA precheck? If you don’t, you want to keep your layering simple if you need to take everything off. You can always keep your layers in your carry-on or personal item.
See Related – 15 Carry On Essentials You Need on Every Flight
What to Wear to the Airport
Jackets + Coats
Currently, these are my go-to jackets, and it all depends on the type of trip I’m taking.
- Anatomie Kenya Safari Jacket – for city travel
- Patagonia 3-in-1 Parka – for winter destinations
- Arcteryx Atom LT Hoodie – best casual outdoorsy jacket
See More: 7 Best Jackets for Travel
For tops, it’s always nice to have sweat-wicking options. These are what I wear currently.
- Popflex Active Perfect Tee – You can get them individually or as a bundle. I have the perfect tee bundle that comes in white, gray, and black, and I wear these everywhere. If you don’t already have basic tees like this, it’s the perfect addition to your 5-piece French wardrobe or minimalist capsule wardrobe.
- Prana Foundation V-Neck
- Uniqlo Airism T-Shirt
- Anatomie Asymmetrical Viscose Jersey Top
My go-to bottoms are joggers, but if I don’t have time to check into a hotel first and I’m headed somewhere nicer, I go with my classic black travel pants. I usually never wear any dresses, skirts, or shorts because I get cold during flights. If you run hotter, though, you may want to wear skirts or shorts.
- Prana Halle Jogger – these are my go-to airport pants.
- Athleta Trekkie North Jogger – when my prana joggers are in the wash.
- Anatomie Skyler Travel Pants – when I need to be a little more dressed up.
- Boulder Denim – They’re the comfiest jeans I’ve owned. We got them originally for climbing but then ended up wearing them everywhere.
See Related – The Best Travel Pants for Women and Men in 2022
I always wear my bulkiest shoes and pack the rest.
- Vessi Everyday Classics – casual sneakers that are 100% waterproof. We get a lot of compliments on these, and they’re so functional.
- Ugg Malvella Boot (similar to the Indra Combat) – for warm weather destinations. It’s been 5 years, and I still wear these all the time. One of our readers even said, “I love Uggs, so when I saw your blog with the Ugg Indra Boots on your list of travel shoes, I didn’t hesitate to buy them. Living in Oregon, it’s a win-win that it’s waterproof. Super comfy. And soooo cute. You can dress it up or down. I love it!”
- Danner Mountain 600 Boots – for our hiking trips. We have both the regular and weatherized ones for winter. We’ve been wearing only Danners for hiking trips for the past 6 years.
Pro Tip: If you’re an REI member, wait for a sale or the 20% off coupon they give to members multiple times a year to get a good deal on them.
See Related – 15 Best Travel Shoes for Every Season
What is the 3 1 1 rule when flying?
- THREE – Each liquid item must be 3.4 oz (100 mL) or less put inside
- ONE clear bag that is
- ONE quart-sized bag of liquids through the TSA checkpoint.
Should I wear jeans on a long flight?
Nowadays, you can find 4-way stretch denim like our Boulder Denim or Duers that make it perfectly comfortable, but I would not recommend wearing any stiff material pants on longer flights.
What are the best pants to wear on an airplane?
My travel pants of choice are joggers. They are comfortable enough but not as slouchy as wearing sweatpants.
What do you wear to the airport?