We’ve given ourselves a photography challenge in all 50 states, but in addition, we hope to spend enough time exploring every national park in the US. Though, at one point in time, my friends called me indoorsy, we have both grown to appreciate the outdoors. The mountains are always calling us.
Eventually, we’ll put together in-depth guides for all these parks. Meanwhile, we linked the ones we wrote guides about. If you want to see them in alphabetical order, go here.
Before we get into it, can you guess which state has the most national parks? Also, see which of these popular national parks require reservations to get in.
More: These 9 National Parks Now Require Reservations
This post may contain affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on sales of the products that are linked at no additional cost to you. All opinions are always our own. Read our full disclosure for more info. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Local Adventurer possible.
Last Updated: January 6, 2023
List of National Parks by State
COMPLETED / COMING SOON / ON OUR BUCKET LIST
- Glacier Bay
- Kenai Fjords (Seward)
- Lake Clark
- Wrangell – St. Elias
- Denali National Park
- Kobuk Valley
- Gates of the Arctic
More: 17 Unforgettable Things to do in Denali National Park
- Saguaro National Park
- Petrified Forest
- Grand Canyon National Park
More: 11 Beautiful Things to do in Saguaro National Park
- Hot Springs
- Death Valley National Park
- Channel Islands (Santa Cruz Island)
- Joshua Tree National Park
- Kings Canyon National Park
- Lassen Volcanic
- Redwood National Park
- Sequoia National Park
- Yosemite National Park
More: 17 Breathtaking Things to do in Yosemite National Park
- Mesa Verde National Park
- Great Sand Dunes National Park
- Black Canyon of the Gunnison
- Rocky Mountains
More: 9 Things You Can’t Miss at Great Sand Dunes National Park
- Dry Tortugas
- Hawaii Volcanoes
- Indiana Dunes
- Mammoth Cave
More: 15 Breathtaking Things to do in Acadia National Park
- Isle Royale
- Gateway Arch
More: 9 Incredible Things to do in Glacier National Park
More: The Ultimate Guide to Great Basin National Park
- Carlsbad Caverns
- White Sands National Park (newest park established Dec 20, 2019)
More: 5 Incredible Things to do at White Sands National Monument
- Theodore Roosevelt
More: 35 Remarkable Things to do in North Bucket List
- Cuyahoga Valley
More: The Ultimate Guide to Crater Lake National Park Oregon
More: 7 Unique Things to do in Congaree National Park
- Wind Cave
- Great Smoky Mountains (also in NC)
- Big Bend National Park
- Guadalupe Mountains
More: 11 Amazing Things to do in Big Bend National Park
- Zion National Park (The Narrows, Angel’s Landing)
- Bryce Canyon National Park
- Capitol Reef
- Arches National Park
More: 15 Best Hikes in Zion National Park
- Mount Rainier
- North Cascades National Park
- Olympic National Park
See More: Your Essential Olympic National Park Guide
- New River Gorge National Park
- Grand Teton National Park
- Yellowstone National Park (also in ID and MT)
More: Your Ultimate Guide to Yellowstone National Park
- American Samoa
US Virgin Islands
- Virgin Islands
Map of US National Parks
- California has the most National Parks, followed by Alaska and then Utah.
- Save money by getting the America the Beautiful Annual Pass if you visit more than one National Park within one year. This is good for any 400+ National Park units, Forest Service, BLM, and more. It is not accepted at state parks.
- Free days at the national park: Birthday of MLK Jr (Jan), First day of National Park Week (Apr), National Park Service Birthday (Aug 25), National Public Lands Day (Sept), Veterans Day (Nov)
- If you visit on other dates, know those entrance fees support the parks.
- Collect stamps in your very own passport.
- Don’t live near one of the 63? Go see the full list of 400+ United States National Park Units! How many of these have you visited?
National Parks By Month – Aug | Sep | Oct | Nov | Dec | Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | Jun | Jul
- Moon USA National Parks Guide
- Complete Guide to the National Parks of the West
- National Park Annual Pass
- National Parks Passport
Which of these parks have you been to? Which are on the top of your list?
SEE MORE NATIONAL PARK GUIDES
“Discovery consists not of seeking new lands but in seeing with new eyes” – M. Proust
Esther + Jacob
Esther and Jacob are the founders of Local Adventurer, one of the top 5 travel blogs in the US. They believe that adventure can be found near and far and hope to inspire others to explore locally. They explore a new city in depth every year and currently base themselves in Las Vegas.
Follow along on Instagram (E + J), YouTube, TikTok, and Pinterest.