These are the best festivals in the US you’ll want to add to your bucket list.
Festivals are an amazing way to experience something special among thousands of people and yet still have personal memories to take away.
As a shorty, festivals don’t tend to appeal to me especially if involves huge crowds and my face being smeared against sweaty backs.
This past year, however, we made a few exceptions, and I’ll have to admit that I can see why people find these shared experiences so magical.
This post may contain affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on sales of the products that are linked at no additional cost to you. All opinions are always our own. Read our full disclosure for more info. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Local Adventurer possible.
Last Updated: May 15, 2023
15 Best Festivals in the US to Add to Your Bucket List
To make it easier to plan your year, we put them in the order of when they happen.
Park City, UT, map
WHEN: January 18-28, 2024
Every January, Park City, Utah is filled with filmmakers, actors, and patrons at the largest independent film festival in the US. With many different awards being given, it has become one of the premier film festivals for both feature length and short films.
794 Cherry St, Macon, GA 31201, map
WHEN: March 15-24, 2024
If you love Cherry Blossoms, head over to Macon, GA for the largest cherry blossom festival in the world celebrating love, beauty, and international friendship. With over 350,000 Yoshino cherry trees, the 10-day festival turns the city pink. There are also concerts, shopping, food, and more.
81800 51st Ave, Indio, CA 92201, map
WHEN: April 19-21, 2024
The Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival is one of the biggest music festivals in the US and World. It draws some of the hottest and biggest names in music. It’s held over 2 weekends every year with the lineup announced sometime in January with over 750,000 people attending.
1751 Gentilly Blvd, New Orleans, LA 70119, map
WHEN: April 26 – May 5, 2024
The New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Fest is held in the middle of New Orleans, and it celebrates music, food (they have a “no carnival food” policy), and art of the area.
Beyond the official shows, many of the unaffiliated New Orleans nightclubs also have performers during the weekends.
7000 Las Vegas Blvd N, Las Vegas, NV 89115, map
WHEN: May 19-21, 2023
The Electric Daisy Carnival is the largest electronic dance music festival in North America. Every year, people flock to Las Vegas to hear their favorite electronic dance producers and DJs.
In addition to music, there are huge 3D structures, glow-in-the-dark environments, and LED-infused flora and fauna.
1201 Ala Moana Blvd, Honolulu, HI 96814, map
WHEN: May 29, 2023
The Shinnyo Lantern Floating Hawaii is held every year on Memorial Day and brings roughly 50,000 people together on the south shore to honor loved ones.
It’s a beautiful event reflecting and remembering those who have gone before us while being surrounded by love and understanding of the community around you.
Randall’s Island Park, New York, NY, map
WHEN: June 9-11, 2023
The Governors Ball Music Festival is one of NYC’s most popular events every year. They typically have a great line up and it’s easy to get there from the city. Besides music, there are food stalls, brand activations, and more. We got to go last year while living in NYC.
Local Tip: Unfortunately, it’s common for it to rain that weekend, so prep some rain gear.
Great Stage Park, TN, map
WHEN: June 15-18, 2023
The Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival is held every year on a 700-acre farm in Manchester, Tennessee. Although it started with a focus on jam bands and folk rock, it now draws musicians from all genres to fill its impressive line up each year.
Beyond the music, there is food, experiences, art, and they continue to strive to become the greenest festival.
Great Stage Park, TN, map
WHEN: June 22-24, 2023
The Electric Forest Festival is a 4-day event focusing on electronic and jam bands at Double JJ Ranch. The natural beauty of the venue is amplified with colorful interactive installations while you camp, RV, rent a log cabin or home, or stay in a hotel on the festival grounds.
There’s also a 60,000 sq foot indoor water park, an 18-hole golf course, and more.
Black Rock Desert, Nevada, map
WHEN: August 27 to September 4, 2023
Imagine a temporary city built up in the desert with no traces of it 9 days later. Burning Man is one that’s harder to explain but started off as an art festival known for its massive temporary sculptures. It still has art, but you now it involves dance, yoga, creating, connecting and more.
We know people who attend annually who still can’t explain it in a concise way. All we know is that they love it, and they say it’s life-changing.
Sloan, NV 89054, map
WHEN: October 6-7, 2023
The RiSE Festival is the largest lantern release in the world. It happens in the Mojave Desert 25 miles south of Las Vegas. We attended this past year and ended up going both nights. It was truly a magical experience seeing so many lanterns release at the same time. They also have an amazing clean up crew that goes out to pick up all the lanterns afterward.
Local Tip: Be patient when releasing your lantern. If you let it go too early, it will struggle to take off.
9401 Balloon Museum Dr NE, Albuquerque, NM 87113, map
WHEN: October 7-15, 2023
WHY YOU SHOULD GO: The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta is the largest balloon festival in the world with over 500 hot air balloons that fly each year. Last year we finally made it out to witness a mass ascension, and it was so beeeautiful! If you go up in a balloon, you also learn to appreciate the amount of work that goes into flying one.
We’ll put together a full guide to the festival soon.
Local Tip: If you’re looking for the best time to go, the largest mass ascensions happen during the first weekend, but it is also the most crowded time. Be sure to arrive early to enjoy the takeoffs.
Map of the Best Festival in the US
More Notable American Festivals
US Music Festivals
- Lollapalooza, Chicago IL (August 3-6, 2023)
- Pitchfork Music Festival, Chicago IL (July 21-23, 2023)
- Ultra Music Festival, Miami FL (March 22-24, 2024)
- Electric Zoo, New York, NY (September 1-3, 2023)
- Afropunk Fest Brooklyn, NY (August 26-27, 2023)
- Summerfest, Milwaukee WI (June 22-24, June 29 – July 1, July 6-8, 2023)
- Outside Lands Music Festival, San Francisco CA (August 11-13, 2023)
- Firefly Music Festival, Dover DE (Back in 2024)
- Hangout Fest, The Gulf Shores AL (May 19-21, 2023)
- Kaaboo Del Mar Festival, San Diego CA (TBA)
- Life is Beautiful, Las Vegas (September 22-24, 2023)
- Rolling Loud, Various Locations – Biggest Hip Hop Festival (July 21-23, 2023)
- Stagecoach Festival, Indio CA (April 28-30, 2023) – Country Music Festival
- Voodoo Music + Arts Experience, New Orleans LA (TBA)
- Essence Festival, New Orleans LA (June 29 – July 3, 2023)
Best Food Festivals in the US
- Taste of Chicago (September 8-10, 2023)
- New York City Wine and Food Festival (October 12-15, 2023)
- Los Angeles Wine Festival (June 3-4, 2023)
- Portland Dining Month / Now Ticket to Dine (March 2023)
- Picklesburgh Festival (July 21-23, 2023)
- San Diego Food and Wine Festival (November 8-12, 2023)
- Eat Drink SF (April 13-23, 2023)
- New Orleans Wine and Food Experience (June 7-11, 2023)
- Epcot International Food and Wine Festival (July 27 – Nov 18, 2023)
- Hawaii Food and Wine Festival (October 13-15, 2023)
Cultural Festivals in USA
Essential TIps for Attending Festivals in the US
Each festival has its own set of tips, but we’ll go over some overall rules that we use in any group events.
- Dress in Layers. Festivals usually last all day (if not longer) and temperatures change. Layers help you adjust easily to stay comfortable.
- Stay Charged. Don’t let your phone die. We love this charger because we can charge both our phones at the same tie.
- Prepare for Any Weather. We’ve been at multiple festivals where it rained. If there’s a chance of rain, have a raincoat with you. Check out our favorite travel jackets.
- Check the Rules Ahead of Time. Each festival will have rules for what you can bring in. Don’t get caught bringing something that’s not allowed.
- Get Tickets Early. The festivals we listed here are extremely popular and will sell out quickly, a lot of times on the date the tickets go on sale. Sign up for newsletters to know when tickets go on sale.
- Arrive Early. No matter how organized a festival is, it still takes a lot of time to park with all the crowds.
- Check Back. Be sure to check their websites for the most up-to-date information multiple times in case anything about the festival changes.
- Want to know what to wear to the airport? These are our ideal airport outfits.
- Carry on essentials to improve your next flight.
Recap of the Best Festivals in the US
- Sundance Film Fest (January)
- Mardi Gras in New Orleans (February)
- SXSW (March)
- International Cherry Blossom Festival (March)
- Coachella (April)
- New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival (April to May)
- EDC (May)
- Lantern Floating Hawaii (May)
- Gov Ball (June)
- Bonnaroo Arts and Music Festival (June)
- Electric Forest (June)
- Burning Man (August to September)
- RISE (October)
- Austin City Limits Music Festival (October)
- Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta (October)
Are there any missing from our list of best festivals in the US? Which ones are you hoping to go to next?
Did you enjoy this post? Pin it for later
SEE More Things to Do in the US
“Discovery consists not of seeking new lands but in seeing with new eyes” – M. Proust
Esther + Jacob
Esther and Jacob are the founders of Local Adventurer, one of the top 5 travel blogs in the US. They believe that adventure can be found near and far and hope to inspire others to explore locally. They explore a new city in depth every year and currently base themselves in Las Vegas.