After a few days in Italy we headed to Switzerland. The landscape quickly changed to rolling hills and breathtaking mountains. Everything was lush and green with the caps covered by snow. We made a stop in Lake Lungern Switzerland to see our first overlook into the beautiful valley.
7 Best Things to Do in Lungern Switzerland
- See Lake Lungern from Viewing Point Schoenbuehel – also known there as Lungernsee or Lungerersee – this is a freakin beautiful lake and the main highlight of the area.
- Hike the Lungerersee Lake Loop – 9.5 km (5.9 mi) moderate loop with 169 m (554 ft) elevation gain.
- Hike Lungern-Turren-Bahn
- Brünig Pass – This is a road that takes you from Central Switzerland to Bernese Oberland. There are a lot of hikes in the area with great views.
- Alter Kirchturm – the old church tower
- Panoramawelt Lungern Schönbüel – aerial passenger tramway for skiers
- Brünig Indoor – underground shooting range
About Lungern Switzerland
Lungern is the highest village of the Sarneraa Valley, sitting at roughly 750 meters / 2,460 feet about sea level. It is completely surrounded by steep inclines covered in woods and rocks except for the north side. There are currently more than 2,100 people living in the village. German is the most common language spoken, with Albanian coming in second and French thrid.
On average, Lungern has about 149.5 days of rain per year and they receive 58.7 inches of precipitation. June and August are the wettest months of the year and October is the driest.
Where to Eat
Best Places to Stay in Lungern Switzerland
- Sunstar Hotel Grindelwald (mid-range) – 31 mi away from Lungern Switzerland and where we stayed. Loved the clean lines, a great mix of form & function, and the unbelievable view.
- House Lakeside (mid-range)
- Hotel Wetterhorn (mid-range)
- Hotel Belvedere Grindelwald (luxury) – 31 mi away, Tripadvisor Traveler’s Choice for 2019
…then made our way to our home for the night in Grindelwald just outside of Interlachen. We really liked the hotel there.
Priorities.. ya know.
This is genius. The door opens two different ways:
Have you been to Lungern Switzerland? What are some of your favorite things to do in the area?