Anyone who has been to Venice knows that one of the most romantic activities is a gondola ride. Well, in theory. If you hold your nose to avoid the smells, the scenery is quite beautiful.
If you can’t make it out to Venice, Italy, then the next best thing happens to be at the Venetian in Las Vegas. It does feel a bit cheesy and artificial, like Disneyland, but it’s a fun and iconic activity to do on the Strip. We initially thought the inside canals were connected to the pool on the outside, so it was disappointing to learn that you have to pay for two separate rides (indoor and outdoor) to get the entire experience.
Below we’ll help you decide which one you should do.
Each gondola seats up to four people, but if you’re looking for a more intimate ride, you have the option to rent out the entire gondola, which is what we did.
We did both the indoor and outdoor gondola ride. Since we went when the weather was cooler, we actually enjoyed the outdoor ride much more. Inside, there are tourists leaning over the rails watching and taking photos of you throughout your ride, but outside you get more privacy and open skies. If people are watching, at least they are farther away!
Helpful Tips for Your Venetian Gondola Ride Experience:
- Indoor or Outdoor ride? If you want the more iconic and touristy Las Vegas experience, get the indoor ride. Also, indoor all the way when it’s the summer. If you want a more private and relaxing experience, get the outdoor ride. Plus, the photos always come out better as long as it’s not high noon with harsh light.
- To purchase tickets, look for the Emporio di Gondola storefront just past the St Mark’s Square along the canal.
- Buy tickets early and plan ahead. If you have to wait around, there are plenty of shops and restaurants to go to. The rides get booked up quickly. We saw a few people walk away in disappointment because there were no more rides left in the day. There was even a couple that just got married that didn’t want to wait 3 hours for the next open slot.
- If you plan on doing the outdoor ride, we recommend booking close to sunset for the best light.
- After you receive your ride time, you line up at the corresponding line, board the gondola and you’re off. Each of the gondoliers will sing a few songs for you and the ride lasts between 15-20 minutes.
- They take a photo of you when you board that you have the option to purchase. You can also bring your own camera aboard.
- If you’re willing to head out a bit further, we really enjoyed the Gondola rides on Lake Las Vegas, which take you under the replica of the Ponte Vecchio Bridge. So much of Italy right in Las Vegas!
Price: $21 per person for a shared gondola, $84 for a private gondola
Indoor Hours: Sun-Thurs 10 AM-11 PM, Fri-Sat 10 AM-12 AM
Outdoor Hours: Daily 11 AM-10 PM
Is this an activity you would do in Las Vegas? What are some sites you want to see or activities you want to do? Looking for more things to do at the Venetian Hotel? Read our Venetian Guide. Have you seen our list of 101 Things to Do in Las Vegas?