Chick-fil-a is a staple in Atlanta. Most of our friends who leave Atlanta always have to stop by when they come back to visit. We had to stop by the original Chick-fil-a before we left! Truett Cathy opened his first restaurant in 1946 called The Dwarf Grill later renamed to the Dwarf House.
This is where he developed the pressure-cooked chicken breast sandwich. Now half of the store is a typical Chick-fil-a with its regular menu, and the other half is a diner with an extended menu.
This post may contain affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on sales of the products that are linked at no additional cost to you. All opinions are always our own. Read our full disclosure for more info. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Local Adventurer possible.
Last Updated: June 16, 2020
The Original Chick-fil-a Dwarf House
Check out photos from our visit. Afterwards, we share what we ordered and tips for your visit. Let’s start off with the sweet potato soufflé on left and Jacob eating a chicken sandwich on the right.
Peach fried pie on left. Hot Brown on right:
The Original Chick-fil-A Dwarf House Address
461 N Central Ave
Hapeville, GA 30354
Phone: (404) 762-1746
What We Ordered
- Chick-fil-A Sandwich: Jacob liked it better than the typical fast food locations!
- Hot Brown: Bite sized pieces of chicken in a thick cream sauce, topped with melted cheddar cheese, paprika, sliced bacon, and toast. It was very filling. It was good, except I wished the chicken was shredded pieces instead of little cubes.
- Sweet Potato Soufflé
- Peach Fried Pie: Not bad. Not amazing. I had high expectations because it was on this list.
- Sweet Potato Fried Pie: I liked this one better!
Essential Tips For Your Visit
- It’s perfect for when you are dropping off or picking up people from the airport.
- It’s open 24 hours except for Sunday.
- Walk through the dwarf door and take some photos.
- Take the chance to sit down at their full service diner side
- If you want to learn more about the Chick-fil-A story, you can read Truett Cathy’s book.
Have you been to the Original Chick-fil-a Dwarf House? What’s your favorite thing to order from Chick fil a?
Did you enjoy this post? Pin it for later
SEE MORE FROM ATLANTA
“Discovery consists not of seeking new lands but in seeing with new eyes” – M. Proust
Esther + Jacob
Esther and Jacob are the founders of Local Adventurer, which is one of the top 5 travel blogs in the US. They believe that adventure can be found both near and far and hope to inspire others to explore locally. They explore a new city in depth every year and currently base themselves in Las Vegas.