We love discovering interesting, new ways to interact with people. Part of what we love about traveling is meeting people, but I’ll admit that sometimes we get caught up in taking photos for the blog, that we miss out on connecting with people. We believe we’re blessed to be a blessing, and though we don’t always live up to our expectations, our hope is always to grow in generosity day by day whether it’s through our finances or time.
This post may contain affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on sales of the products that are linked at no additional cost to you. All opinions are always our own. Read our full disclosure for more info. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Local Adventurer possible.
Last Updated: Mat 31, 2020
51 Random Acts of Kindness Ideas
We’ve all heard inspiring stories where a complete stranger does something to help someone else out. Often times we only hear about the grand gestures, but it’s usually the small of acts of kindness that can change someone’s day. Think back to the last time a stranger gave you a compliment or even just held the door for you. Often times that kindness can change your outlook for the day or even become contagious so that you want to pay it forward.
To help you get started, we’ve put together a list of 51 random acts of kindness that you can do for friends or strangers!
Random Acts of Kindness for People You Know
- Send someone a handwritten letter or postcard.
- Bring someone a souvenir.
- Cook someone a meal.
- Bake someone treats.
- Put your phone away (especially if you’re on it a lot).
- Do someone’s laundry.
- Make someone a playlist.
- Give someone a book you think they’d like
- Give someone a hug
- Write a list of things you love about someone.
- Wash someone’s car.
- Babysit, dogsit, or catsit for free.
- Go out of the way to offer someone a ride.
- Mow someone’s lawn after mowing your own.
- Send someone a care package.
- Take someone to the movie.
- Take someone on a spontaneous adventure.
- Throw someone a surprise party.
- Bring doughnuts or desserts to work.
- Leave a positive sticky note on someone’s desk.
- Take someone out to lunch.
- Lend out your umbrella when it’s pouring outside.
- Make two lunches for work and give one away.
- Take someone to a mani, pedi, or massage.
- Teach someone a recipe.
Random Acts of Kindness for People You Know
- Leave quarters at the laundromat.
- Pay the toll for the person behind you.
- Give someone a compliment.
- Leave a larger than normal tip.
- Buy someone behind you in line their morning coffee.
- Pay for someone’s groceries behind you.
- Give up a good parking spot.
- Send a box of our fave donuts, bagels, or muffins to a construction site.
- Smile at someone… just because (even Mother Teresa said, “We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do.”).
- Hold the elevator or door open.
- Put change in someone’s expired parking meter (keep in mind that re-metering is illegal in some cities, especially when you are allowing them to stay beyond the time limit).
- Let someone behind you at the supermarket check out first.
- Send dessert to another table.
- Give up your seat on the bus or subway.
- Give up your window or aisle seat for someone who has a middle seat.
- Bring your flight attendant some chocolates.
- Help someone struggling with heavy bags.
- Give someone a flower or bouquet / Bring flowers to a nursing home.
- Help someone take a photo.
- Take time to give someone who looks lost directions.
- Stop and help someone with a flat tire.
- Carry a $5 gift card with you and give it someone randomly.
- Help someone load their luggage into the overhead bin.
- Give someone else the cab that you hailed.
- Let someone else get seated before you at a busy restaurant.
- Share your table with someone at a busy food court.
A Few Notes
- Don’t overthink your random act of kindness! Even the simplest things can make a difference.
- If you’re introverted and intimidated with talking to a stranger, you can always spread kindness to a someone you know. Eventually, it will get further from you and before you know it, the kindness will spread to strangers.
- The airport is a great place to do a random act of kindness. It’s already a place that causes stress and a where we’re caught up in getting from one place to another, so think about the impact it can make by bringing a smile to someone’s face.
Have you done a random act of kindness before? Can you think of any other random acts of kindness can you think of?
Did you enjoy this post? Pin it for later
SEE MORE BUCKET LIST
“Discovery consists not of seeking new lands but in seeing with new eyes” – M. Proust
Esther + Jacob
Esther and Jacob are the founders of Local Adventurer, which is one of the top 5 travel blogs in the US. They believe that adventure can be found both near and far and hope to inspire others to explore locally. They explore a new city in depth every year and currently base themselves in Las Vegas.