Today marks one month and one week of us living in Las Vegas, and my first impressions here has been very different from my first impressions of LA .
Pros Living in Las Vegas:
- People. They are generally much friendlier here.
- Outdoors. There’s a lot of national parks in driving distance from here.
- Energy. I like the new energy of downtown vegas. Really reminds me of silicon valley.
- Costs. Cost of living is so much cheaper out here especially in comparison to LA.
- Space. Not that Josh is a bad roommate, but when you’re married, you could use your own space!
- Target. We live in walking distance from target and everything else we need is easily accessible to us.
- Open container policy. Call me a lush, but I seriously love these little freedoms.
Cons Living in Las Vegas:
- Food. Not as many good cheap food options as there was in LA. Also asian supermarkets are not easy to come by.
- Weather. I hear it gets up to 120 and is unbearable in the summer. I have yet to find out what that’s like.
OTHER GRATITUDES THIS WEEK:
- Passion. I’ve been following along on Zack Arias’ photo assignments, and I’m excited to see again.
- Pies. We celebrated Pi(e) day by making some mini nutella pies! Yummm. :)
- Dating. We went to check out the Fremont experience, and it was just nice walking around that area at night.
- Netflix. We’ve been watching a lot of interesting documentaries before we go to sleep lately. Learning some stuff!
- Klout. They sent us healthy cat food from hills, treats, and a laser pointer, and our guys are loving it!
After being in LA (specifically Hollywood) for a year, I started shutting myself out from the outside world. I began to think that I was just a negative and unsociable person. After moving to Vegas, I’m seeing how much my environment has had a huge impact on my emotional and mental health. Not to blame everything solely on environment, because I have had my share of problems to wrestle with, but now I actually feel like I can finally open up to others again. I’ve even joined a few meetups (a book club, hiking group, and blogger group)! So despite all the nice stuff and the friends we left behind in LA, I am really enjoying the change.
Have you ever felt that way before? How do you stay strong when you feel like you’re in a toxic environment?