This month I tried out a paleo recipe for my 13 in 2013, since our ford fiesta june mission was to try paleo for the month. The first week was a really rough week. We were both surprised how much sugar and carbs we actually consumed after realizing everything we had to cut out. Can’t cook with vegetable oil. Can’t use soy sauce to flavor anything, or any other sauce / condiment in our house for that matter.
We ended up putting together bland meat and vegetable plates all week. It was not a good week for me and definitely not a good week for Jacob… especially since food tends to dictate my mood. After voicing some of my concerns, our friends who were paleo veterans came to our rescue with recipe recommendations and tricks to give our food more flavor.
This is my first two paleo recipes I taught myself: Coconut Almond Chicken Patties and a Dipping Sauce you can use anytime.
Paleo Recipe: Coconut Almond Chicken Patties Recipe (from amazing paleo):
- ½ cup almond flour (only certain grocery stores carry it).
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 lbs of ground chicken
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil (we like the one at trader joe’s)
- Combine all the ingredients except coconut oil in a mixing bowl.
- Take handfuls of the mixture and create 8 patties.
- Add 1.5 Tbsp of coconut oil to a skillet over medium heat.
- After the oil melts, place patties on the skillet 4 at a time.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until bottom is brown.
- Flip patties, cover, and cook for 5 minutes or until both sides are brown and crispy.
- Use a flat spatula to remove the patties from the skillet. Use a paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Repeat steps 3-7 for the remaining patties.
Paleo Dipping Sauce Recipe (from paleomg):
- ¼ cup coconut aminos (found at whole foods).
- ⅛ cup white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp ground stone mustard (condiment from bottle, not powder found at vons).
- 1 tsp raw honey
- Mix all dipping ingredients together. That’s it!
Can you believe I went a whole week without rice or pasta? It’s been a week and a half of doing 90% paleo (Jacob has been doing 99%), and I can tell already that my palette has been changing. Everything has been tasting a lot sweeter than it used to. I’ve also managed to cut down my diet coke consumption to 1 every 2 or 3 days. Go me!
Ever consider trying the paleo diet? Paleo diet works for people who want to eat gluten free. I’ve been learning more of these recipes, so I will post a few more recipes I learned if you are interested! :)