After traveling with different groups of people, I’ve realized that people have different travel styles. If they are not compatible to yours, then it can make traveling very stressful or just not as enjoyable. There’s a lot of travel personality quizes out there that mostly say I’m an adventure traveler, but after a few trips with different types of travelers, here’s a few things I learned about myself:
- Photography is probably the most important part of traveling, so I prioritize my schedule around what times will be best for each location.
- Next up in importance is food. I travel for food. I like to try all the hole in the wall places where the locals eat, but I also like to end my trip with at least one meal that’s a Michelin rated restaurant. So far they haven’t disappointed.
- I could do without visiting the monuments/tourist landmarks, but I cannot do without good food. If I don’t enjoy the food, the place is checked off my list, and it’s unlikely that I”ll go back for a second visit.
- I like new experiences. New food. New places. Things I can check off my bucket list like skydiving.
- I hate feeling rushed, so I usually pick one or two activities a day and enjoy relaxing and hanging out the rest of the time. I also like to stay in one place for an extended period of time rather than hopping from city to city. My ideal eurotrip would be staying in one city until I’ve exhausted all my options.
- I like to stay at cozy bed and breakfasts in the heart of the city where everything is walking distance. It has to be clean though, or I probably won’t get good sleep. I don’t want to be in a place where I have to sleep inside my sleeping bag for protection… like that one time we stayed at a hostel in Prague and my sheets had cartoon characters in different sexual positions. No thanks! I like to end my trip with one night pampering myself at a nicer hotel so that I come back home feeling refreshed and not more tired.
- I’m always happier when I’m near a body of water. I prefer the beach, lakes, & coastal cities
- But I’m also starting to appreciate hiking and the outdoors and the road less traveled.
- If I find a cafe or bar I love, I’m very loyal and will become a (temporary) regular.
- Out of all the places I’ve ever visited, my favorite country I keep wanting to visit over and over again is Italy – I love the food, culture, & it photographs well. :)
- The best kinds of travel companions are those that are flexible and down for whatever. They’re a rare breed.
What type of traveler are you?