I was never been a huge fan of Mexican food, that is.. until we moved to San Diego. It turns out, we just had to try it again in much closer proximity to Mexico. Now that I’m a believer, we go and eat it every now and again, but we haven’t had too much luck outside of San Diego and LA. After a year of living in San Diego, here are our favorite spots.
15 Amazing Places with the Best Mexican Food in San Diego
- Aqui es Texcoco, Chula Vista, $$
- Cantina Mayahuel, University Heights. On Eater 38 for San Diego.
- Chuy’s Taco Shop, Rolando, $ – carne asada fries here are so yum! On Yelp 100 for 2019
- El Comal, North Park, 2$
- El Pescador Fish Market in La Jolla. The fish was so fresh.
- Mariscos Nine Seas Seafood, South Park $
- Oscars Mexican Seafood, Pacific Beach
- Puesto at the Headquarters – where you go for fancy tacos and more of the ambience over just the food. See more of our photos here.
- La Posta De Acapulcos
- La Puerta, Gaslamp
- Las Cuatro Milpas, Barrio Logan, $
- Lolita’s Mexican Food, Kearny Mesa
- Lucha Libre Taco Shop, Middletown
- Super Cocina, Normal Heights
- Tacos El Gordo, Chula Vista – my all time favorite taco spot in the US.
- Tacos El Paisa
- TJ Oyster Bar
We also tried
- City Tacos, North Park – we really wanted to like them because they were in our neighborhood, but they were just overrated.
On our first visit, we had just gotten back from Hawaii and we were hunting down best Mexican food in San Diego (and pseudo-Mexican food like California burritos!).
Afterwards, we went to hear an amazing trumpeter.
Then, we found ourselves hungry for a late night snack. We landed at the Golden Dragon Asian Bistro, which wasn’t the best but happened to be open 24 hours. For smaller cities, I suppose you have to lower your standards after 9pm.
Thus concludes our food adventures in San Diego. Can’t wait to go back for Round 2! Next stop the Taylor Guitar Factory.