Since I forgot to post a recipe for a recipe a month in June, I’m posting two for July! :)
Last month I made butter rum cupcakes, and it was the first time I decorated cupcakes with legit frosting tips! I bought this set of four as an intro and used ziplock bags instead of buying specialty icing bags (Does anyone know whether icing bags are superior or if it’s all the same?). I still have a lot of practice to do, but for my first try, I thought I did alright. What do you think?
BUTTER RUM CUPCAKES RECIPE (adapted via)
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) box butter recipe cake mix (or yellow if you cant find it)
- 1 3/4 ounces vanilla pudding mix (approx half a standard packet)
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup whole milk, cold
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup dark spiced rum (we used Captain Morgan)
- 16 ounces powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons dark rum
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Toast coconut flakes over medium heat in a dry skillet for 10 minutes while stirring.
- Combine cake mix, vanilla pudding mix, eggs, milk, vegetable oil, and rum in a large mixing bowl, and beat for 2 minutes on high with an electric mixer.
- Stir in 2/3 or the coconut flakes (save 1/3 for garnishing later).
- Pour batter into lined cupcake pan (hard to see in photos, but these are what we used).
- Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to completely cool to room temperature.
- Place your stainless steel mixing bowl in the freezer for 5 minutes. (The cold bowl helps frosting have a stiffer shape).
- Mix powdered sugar, butter, vanilla, and rum in cold bowl on medium-low until well blended.
- Blend on medium-high until frosting is light and fluffy.
- Pipe frosting onto the cupcakes and sprinkle with coconut.
- For the butter rum frosting, you can add up to an additional 2 Tablespoons to fit your taste.
- The original recipe had a butter rum glaze, but I wasn’t a huge fan of it, so I made most of my cupcakes without it.
- Our kitchen aid mixer makes baking SO easy! I feel like I say this to Jacob every time I use it! If you’ve ever tried using one, you know what I mean. :) It’s amazing! We bought this as an anniversary gift to ourselves, but I encourage you to put it on your wedding, baby, any registry!
A few more photos of the process in case you want to see the consistency:
They might not be super pretty, but they get an A for effort & taste! :) We recently bought this cupcake caddy (shown below), since we like to take them to our friends to share. Since I was going all legit with the frosting tips, I figured why not up my game all around. :P Jacob made me promise that I would be making cupcakes once a month!
I also made some just with the glaze and sprinkled with coconut flakes on top.