Texas was the biggest challenge on our epic cross country road trip. Everything is bigger in Texas for sure, even the state itself. It almost had us defeated. We were driving and driving and driving, and it just never seemed to end. We learned our lesson. Always take I-40!
Welcome to Texas Sign
I wanted to find a perfect cowboy riding off into the sunset, but needless to say, that did not happen.
Obviously, this was the easiest because we like to eat.. and you have to eat! First stop was Torchy’s Tacos for an appetizer – a brushfire taco.
Then we headed for our main course at Rudy’s BBQ, where we ordered every meat imaginable.
We simply had to try a Whataburger, which was born out of Texas in the 1950s.
We finished off with dessert at Hey Cupcake!. The guy in the cupcake trailer seemed lazy and was not particularly nice. Plus, the cupcakes weren’t that good. Guess we won’t be back.
Horses. I added an extra category since they were waiting in a parking lot for their photographs to be taken.
Mid-drive through the uninhabited parts of the state, we took a short break. We stopped along the side of the road, in the pitch dark, to entertain ourselves with some long exposures. You could see the Milky Way so clearly!
If given the opportunity, we like to eat / try / photograph things that are official state symbols.
- Official State Dish: Chili con Carne
- State Snack: Tortilla chips and salsa
- Fruit: Texas Red Grapefruit
- State Flower: Bluebonnets
- State Bird: Northern Mockingbird
- State Mammal: Nine-banded armadillo (small) & Texas Longhorn (large) & Mexican Free-tailed Bat (flying) 😳
- State Amphibian: Texas Toad
- State Reptile: Texas Horned Lizard
- State Fish: Guadalupe Bass
- State Insect: Monarch Butterfly
- State Nut: Native Pecan
- State Plant: Prickly Pear
And there are many more. Since when did they come out with so many state symbols? I feel like when I was growing up, we had maybe 5. Or there’s a chance I never paid attention because my mind was elsewhere. :P
Have you been to Texas? What places did you visit?