Have you ever lost anything while traveling overseas? I lost my toiletry bag while we were in Turkey. I got overwhelmed by the security lines, and in the moment of chaos, I forgot to stuff all my personal items back in my backpack (Seriously, hope they come up with a global TSA pre-check one day).
I was, however, relieved that I always keep my travel toiletry or makeup bag minimal, so I don’t have to replace as much. Everyone I know is always asking me how I pack everything into a small 17″ carry-on and backpack, and I’ve been meaning to do a series of packing tips and guides. Since I’m shopping for replacements now, I thought it was the perfect time to put this makeup list together.
HOW TO PACK YOUR TOILETRIES – YOUR MINIMAL MAKEUP GUIDE
WHAT’S ESSENTIAL FOR YOU?
Do you love having lots of eyeshadow options? Lipsticks? I can definitely go lighter on the makeup, but for me, I don’t want to compromise skincare. I know we Koreans love our 10 step skin care routine, but when traveling, there’s still no way I’m bringing that many products. I try to find a good compromise, and between bringing less makeup to make more room for my skincare, and cutting out a few steps (bye for now: oil cleanser, exfoliator, essence, and serums).
TRAVEL ORGANIZERS / TOILETRY BAGS
- TSA 3-1-1 Clear Quart Size Bag – I’ve tried a dozen different toiletry bags, some prettier than others, but I always come back to using this inexpensive one from Lewis n Clark. It’s simple, isn’t bulky, and fits right into my Tumi Hanging Travel Bag.
- Hanging Toiletry Organizer – My Tumi Voyageur Monaco Travel Kit was a bit of a splurge, but our million-miler friend always travels with it, and I’ve been eyeing it for a while. I love how much I can stuff all my non-liquids, bras and underwear, jewelry, and my entire clear quart size bag in there.
MAKEUP / TOILETRIES
- Eyelash curler
- Mascara – currently using this travel size one from Benefit.
- Eyeliner – loved using this one since college. I’ve tried tons of other brands that even cost way more, but I always come back to this one too.
- Eye cream – I love this roller serum one where I don’t have to use my fingers to scoop it up to apply. Much more sanitary and packs better because of the shape.
- Face cream / Lotion (in a GoToob) – I bought an argan oil one in Morocco.
- Face wash – have you ever tried washing your face with honey? ;)
- Toner / complexion water
- Coral safe sunscreen (in a GoToob)
- Face Sunscreen
- Foundation / BB Cream
- Foundation brush
- Blush brush
- Cotton pads
- Hand cream
- Eye primer – I use this anti-aging one.
- Makeup primer
- All in One Makeup Compact – They sell these at airport duty-free areas, and I love how much they pack into one compact. It’s hard to find one with a majority of colors you like to use, but if you find one, I would snatch it up!
- Eye Blending Brush
- 2 Paper or Gel Face Masks
- Makeup Remover Wipes
- Nail Polish Remover Wipes
- 1 Nail Polish
- Seche Vite
- Lip balm
Then all of this goes into my carry-on personal item, whether it’s a purse or backpack. Lately, I’ve been traveling with this:
What do you have in your travel makeup or toiletry bag? Do you have any favorite makeup products you like to use?