While living in LA, we visited the beach no more than 5 times the ENTIRE year and immediately regretted it after moving to Vegas. Traffic was always our biggest excuse for staying in, but we know we missed out big time. Now that we’re back on the coast, we’re determined to enjoy the beach during our time in San Diego. We’re hoping to explore every beach in the area and make it out to a beach – new or old – once a week. We also put together a list of our beach essentials when we go.
[UPDATE] I also recently got the cutest watermelon cooler / bag that I’ve been toting everywhere!
WHAT’S IN MY BEACH BAG – BEACH ESSENTIALS LIST
- Sun Screen: Skin cancer is no joke! We used to love using our Neutrogena Dry Touch, but after reading up on what ingredients go into their sunscreens along with other big brands, we’ve found some great non-toxic alternatives.
- Cheap Sunglasses: I keep my nicer pair in the car, so that they don’t get scratched up by the sand. I just recently got the pair I’m wearing from Kitson.
- Sunhat: Gotta keep the sun off your face. The one I’m wearing above is from San Diego Hat Company. I can’t believe that now we actually live in San Diego!
- Towel & Blanket: Lately, it’s been too cold to get in the water, so we like to bring a blanket to relax on. Jacob hates getting sand in everything, so that’s the best way to keep the sand away. We got ours a while back at our alma mater. :)
- A Good Book: Nothings better than feeling the breeze, soaking in the sun, and enjoying a good book. We typically bring our Kindles with us so we have multiple options on what to read. I’m currently reading Slaughterhouse Five, and Jacob is currently reading The Giver. What about you?
- A Light Jacket: Even though the beach is usually nice, winds can always pick up and make it chilly as the sun sets. Be sure to bring a light jacket to stay warm. We really like our Patagonia nano puff jackets that pack up small.
- Camera: Whether it’s a phone, a point-and-shoot, or DSLR, we like to have at least one camera (if not all 3) to capture the moments.
- Snacks: To keep the hanger at bay, we always bring some of our favorite beef jerky or trail mix to appease the monster. :)
- Your Beverage of Choice: It’s always important to stay hydrated! I’ve never liked drinking regular water, so it’s been nice having our fridge full of Sparking ICE. They have over 20 sparkling water flavors, and they have no calories (Couldn’t get in shape for our Mexican Riviera Cruise.. but maybe for Turks and Caicos? One can hope!). I love the fizziness, and my favorite flavor so far is Peach Nectarine. Sparkling ICE is actually giving fans a chance to win a year’s supply by competing against each other in the Flavor Face Off fan contest (No Purchase Necessary). In addition, you could get your face on a bottle, along with daily and weekly prizes. To register or to find Sparkling ICE near you visit sparklingice.com. Good luck!
What are your beach bag essentials?
Have you tried any of the Sparking ICE flavors?
What are your thoughts?