Cirque du Soleil has become synonymous with Las Vegas. In terms of Vegas shows, it seems like it’s at the top of everyone’s list. They also make the top of our favorites in the city. Over the years, we’ve seen O, Ka, Zumanity, and Zarkana, but we still have a few more to check off the list. This past week, we got a chance to see Mystere and even got an exclusive backstage tour.
So first, some history! Mystere is actually the first Cirque du Soleil show to have it’s own theater. Before then, all of the shows toured with a circus tent. This was unique because they could really let their imaginations run wild. Having the opportunity to build a stage specifically for the show meant they could really experiment with the atmosphere of the show.
The springs that allow the stage to move up and down:
After getting the backstage tour, we were completely enamored with the set and costume design and had a deeper appreciation for the show after seeing all the moving parts.
Now onto the show! We were lucky enough to sit center stage, 6 rows back. There was a great balance of comedic elements and amazing acrobatics. We’re always impressed with the music. It’s really easy to forget that all of it is performed live. Our favorite act was the Chinese poles where they did some incredible stunts on… well, poles.
Show Photos by Matt Beard for Cirque du Soleil.
Fun Facts about Mystere Cirque Du Soleil in Las Vegas:
- All of the costumes start in Montreal, then the wardrobe team finishes them off at each location.
- Everyone in the show does their own makeup.
- The cast of Mystere includes 75 performers and over 60 technicians
- There are 3 copies of each costume. One for the 2 performances each night and 1 extra. Laundry is done every night so there’s a fresh set each day.
- Every Cirque du Soleil production hangs flags to represent all the countries that their performers are from. Mystère has performers from 20 countries.
- The floor is completely hand painted.
- Mystere has been running for over 20 years and they celebrated their 10,000th show in Dec 2014.
- Their guitarist hasn’t missed a single show and holds the world record for most theatrical performances by a male musician.
If you’re a Nevada resident, be sure to check out their locals deals running through the end of March! You can get tickets as low as $59 HERE!
Have you seen a Cirque du Soleil show? Do you plan to?
Which is your favorite?